If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Default Re: 85 22RET Pickup To 1KZ-TE 5spd 4WD

Simplified thank you!

Some quick questions, wiring based. Does anyone know, or have the wiring diagrams for the master cylinder, water in fuel light, and vacuum warning light, and the brake light?

Trying to find my cluster diagrams but I can't.

Today I am going to remove the dash and dive into the wiring for what I hope, is my last time for a long time.

Here's a wiring diagram I put together for the combination meter for my conversion. My diesel parts are from a 1994 Surf. I wanted a fresh diagram, so I put the original gasoline engine diagram from a 1995 4Runner into the "gimp" and altered it to represent the changes I made. I'm not sure if it will be the same as yours, but maybe it will help you.

Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you have a hard time reading these, I can email higher res pictures to you. Let me know.

Michael

One more thing, in the first image, I have a mistake. I haven't changed the tach signal wire from the igniter, to the diesel ecu. Just now noticed that.

Michael

I hooked the vacuum sensor on the tank up to the brake light and made sure the mater cylinder wiring was working which it was. The radiator had a small leak that was fixed, after installing the radiator and hooking everything back up the speedometer and the 4wd wiring wouldn't work.

I went about a foot and a half up the wires from the speed sensor plug, stripped some of the insulation back on each of the wires and measured the resistance between there and the plug, all came out with 0.00 resistance so the wires don't have a break in them. The wire that sends the signal from the speed sensor to the dash, does it branch off after it goes through the dash or before? I am having a terrible time finding the wiring diagrams to suit the all digital dash. I don't know what wire going into the back of the dash is the wire I need to hook the speed sensor wire up to.

The 4wd wouldn't disengage, even when removing that pin 5. I have pins one and five jumpered, and 10 and 11 pulled out and installed a jumper wire that connects the two pins. What am I to do with the other plug that goes to the front differential that is no longer needed? I jumpered pins 10 and 11 for the front sensor, but what other two pins are for the other front sensor, and what is it?

I noticed today that when moving the transfer case shifter from Hi to N the 4wd computer makes clicks and then the 4wd button doesnt make the click anymore, same thing in Lo . it sounds as though the 4wd computer is only making the relay click noises when the transfer case shifter is in Hi .

Also, I need to find out where to extend the blue and green/red wire from the speed sensor to on the back of the speedometer. Its an 86 digital dash and I can't find those darn wiring diagrams anywhere.

Did you get the ones I sent you? If not I can send them again. I sent everything I had plus two pictures.

I got all of them, very much appreciated. Unfortunately they're not for the digital dash I have. I need the pinouts of the plugs on the rear of my digital dash so I can take the two wires from the speed sensor and hook them up so they go through the dash like they're supposed to. Then I will have to hook up the green/blue wire that sends that speed signal to the ecu and to the 4wd computer. I can't find those wiring diagrams I have just mentioned anywhere.

This thread on the Australian Surf site could possibly explain what is happening. I took out the plug on the shift motor, its on the drivers side now on the side of the shift motor housing. The 4wd light went out, so what Nev has explained on the site is that sometimes this rod that moves in and out gets stuck in or out, I have read cases of both now, and you have to manually take the motor off and clean it. I don't know how to do that so any info that someone has would be great. When I was cleaning, before painting the transmission, I remember partially trying to remove this assembly but ended up pushing the rod back in, a question. Could putting that rod back in the exact place be causing my problem of not being able to shift out of 4wd? I verified that undoing the three 14mm bolts on the rear of the housing and sliding the assembly back until I could see this rod, in doing this the rear and front drive shafts dont move together anymore, in 2wd! However when I push the assembly back in and tighten the bolts, start the truck and try to disengage, nothing happens. It is stuck in 4wd at the moment.

As I stated before, the 4wd computer seems as though it turns the relays off when in N or Lo, there are no clicks when depressing or releasing the 4wd switch other than when it is in Hi

Also, I have tested that reversing and pulling forward and reversing and pulling forward, it doesn't seem to help.
    Last edited by lbeezy; 11-24-2009 at 04:54 PM.

bloc Guest

Ok I'll try and answer all of that...

The speedo wire goes straight from the sensor to the gauge cluster, then the "signal" is processed by the speedo and sent out to the cruise computer and ECU. This is for normal electronic speedos.. not sure if your all-digital thing works the same way or not.

I'm still not sure you understand the conditions in which the computer tries to shift the case.
    Stick in Hi, button Off, computer wants 2wd.
    Stick in Hi, button On, computer wants 4wd.
    Stick in N or Lo, BUTTON DOESNT MATTER, computer wants 4wd.

Try and understand how it works. stik in Hi, button off, it's trying to put it in 2wd. it is now in 4wd. computer tries to do this so you hear: *click* from the relays. but for some reason it can't actually disengage.
    Stick in N, or Lo, regardless of button position, it thinks you want 4wd, it's already in 4wd.. so *NO click*.
    Now as to why it's not disengaging the case? troubleshoot it.
    are you getting voltage to the motor? If yes, motor is bad or linkage is stuck for some reason. If no, why not? are you getting voltage on those terminals out of the computer? If yes, bad wire. If no, bad computer.
    this is basic electrical troubleshooting...

There are TWO PLUGS for the JDM front diff. One is the temp sensor, you bypassed this with pins 10 and 11. The other is the front diff ADD switch. this tells the truck when the front diff is engaged. See if the case engaged 4wd but the ADD diff wasn't engaged, you wouldn't have 4wd.. so why have a light? That's why they had the light circuit go through this switch.. when the ADD locks in completely, you get a light, because you are actually in 4wd. neat huh.
    This is what you bypassed by connecting pins 5&1. So neither plug going to the diff is needed any more.
    Just to be clear.. you still have the original wires going to pins 5&1, but you just added a jumper between them? Then 10&11 can have the wires removed from the plug, and replaced with a jumper between those terminals.

Ok.

The speedometer wire, yes I know it goes through the dash and THEN to the 4wd computer and the ECU and the cruise control. In this case, I do not have the cruise control. BUT there are 3 wires on the speed sensor. One goes to the integration relay, the black/orange wire, and the other two to the dash to then go to the 4wd computer and ecu in my case. HOWEVER, I need then wiring diagrams so i can connect these two wires from the speed sensor to the digital dash. Before, there was a cable that plugged into the back of the dash, I believe this was for the speed? So now I think I need something to convert that cable to the two wires that come out of the speed sensor. Does that make sense?

I understand the conditions FULLY, just my transfer case wont let me disengage 4wd AT ALL! No matter if the transfer case is in HI N or LO, and the 4wd button depressed or released, the transfer case DOES NOT disengage the 4wd. Yes jumper wire between pin 5 and 1 with original wire still connected, and wires pulled from pins 10 and 11, replaced with a wire connecting both pins I also pulled the wire form the 4wd ecu that went to the ADD relay. So with all of this, the 4wd computer makes a clicking noise when I depress the 4wd button when the transfer case is in 4Hi. When i depress the switch to disengage the 4Hi, I get another click, followed by another click about five to six seconds later reverting it back to as id I had depressed the 4wd button. When I put the transfer case lever into N I hear the 4wd computer click again, and shuts off almost, I get nothing when I depress the 4wd button, and the same in Lo but the 4wd light is still illuminated indicating that the motor is still in 4wd that is completing the ground circuit to pin 5 of the 4wd computer. This would explain why even if the button is released or depressed, it doesn't disengage. The motor is stuck, hopefully.