If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Default Need 1KZ-TE ECU?

Where can I get an ECU for a 1KZ-TE in the US? I have a conversion 1996 Hilux Surf into a 96 4 runner and it has started losing power going up hills and the check engine light goes on. Brought it to a diesel mechanic and he insists the problem is in the ECU. Suggestions?

Default Re: 1KZ-TE Parts list

Quote Originally Posted by RivrRunr View Post
    Where can I get an ECU for a 1KZ-TE in the US? I have a conversion 1996 Hilux Surf into a 96 4 runner and it has started losing power going up hills and the check engine light goes on. Brought it to a diesel mechanic and he insists the problem is in the ECU. Suggestions?

There's one on eBay right now.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...spagenameZWDVW

Default Re: 1KZ-TE Parts list

And so this mechanic has a clue about Toyota diesels? He's familiar with the 1KZ-TE which was never available in the USA? How did he come about this diagnosis? What if your problem is a bad vacuum/pressure hose from the turbo to the pump? Or temp sensor or TPS? Maybe he's right about the ECU and maybe it's something completely different.

--Radio
    1985 2L-T 4x4 Longbed, PROJECT ON HOLD AGAIN whilst I pay medical bills. In hand and in progress: Sky Hi-Steer; FROR FF rear axle/disc brake conversion

Default Re: Need 1KZ-TE ECU?

I pmd you advisng a toyota specific privat shop rather than a diesel mechanic. Def worth trying before they have you start throwing parts at it.
    Takumi Services
    Auto Prep & Fabrication
    770-364-7598

Check the codes first.
    The ECU at ebay is not for Surf it is for HiAce Van and will not work in a Surf /4Runner configuration. The wiring connectors in Surf are 22P, 16P, 26P.
    The ECU number for Surf is 175800-1313 one could also 175800-1312 or 175800-1314
    Gibli.

Well one thing to check is that your turbo pressure sensor is plugged in and reading. This will throw a code and turn the CEL on and you will lose power on hills.

It won't always turn on the CEL though. Mine almost never turned on the CEL when I was working setting up the boost control, but the boost sensor code would show up when you checked the diagnostics.

What kind of tranny came with the hi-ace van? Is that why the 12p in place of the 22p connector?

Question Power loss: ECU vs fuel starvation?

The ebay ECU says "Japanese-import computer for Hilux, Surf and/or Landcruiser Prado with the 1KZ-TE and automatic transmission #89661-26170. " Why wouldn't this be compatable with the 1KZ-TE turbo diesel from a 1996 Hilux Surf? I'd like to order the ebay part since a new one will probably run be at least $1000.

Mike at National Auto Warehouse in Knoxville, TN did the conversion and he thinks that the problem is probably due to low fuel pressure and might be solved with addition of an auxilliary low pressure electronic fuel pump. Since the symptom, loss of power coupled with check engine warning light, seems to be happening more with an empty fuel tank and is at least partially alleviated by filling the tank, I tend to think a fuel problem is more likely than an ECU. I understand that the ECU does not generally fail.

How useful are the DTC's? (Diagnostic Trouble codes obtained from shorting TE1 and E1 terminals on the ECU)

Anyone know of a good Toyota or diesel mechanic in the Washington DC/Rockville MD area?

Thanks so much everyone for the input!

I snet you a pm with some diagnostic ideas...codes are a good start...

don't add a pump, if you do and it drivability issue goes away you have merely overpowered the physical problem...for now...not fixed it.

Did he remove the stock pump from the tank? stock filter from the rail? Both of these will collect sediment. You can check the return pressure to get an idea of how it's flowing. Id don't know numbers but it should gush out the return with the engine on .
    Takumi Services
    Auto Prep & Fabrication
    770-364-7598