If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: 1KZ-TE 4wd computer wiring - Breakthrough today

GEEZ!! You guys are making my head swim. SO glad I've got the old-fashioned mechanical.

This has been so involved, taken so many threads, that somebody (bloc??) ought to put together a doggone master wiring guide that includes EVERYTHING, the whole nine yards, about conversion wiring on these electronic engines. Then it should be made a sticky. That could be a lot of work. Heck, maybe you could print up a manual and charge people for it.

Can't tell you how much you make me LOVE my mechanical 2L-T,
    --Radio
    1985 2L-T 4x4 Longbed, PROJECT ON HOLD AGAIN whilst I pay medical bills. In hand and in progress: Sky Hi-Steer; FROR FF rear axle/disc brake conversion

bloc Guest

I should have qualified that last post by saying that if everything is wired like my 4runner was, then the jumper bypasses the ADD.

Obviously your wiring is different.. you need to figure out which wire goes where and does what. With enough information about that stuff, you should be able to figure out what wires on YOUR setup apply to the description in my first post. Time to break out the multimeter and go to town..

hey bloc just a quick for you question. I have an Ecu for my 1 kz te. Its has the (A/T) abbreviation i am assuming that it means that its for an auto ecu does it automatically cover 4x4 auto trans also. Please crarify if you can. Are there diffirent types of ecus outhere that have diffirent function.

Quote Originally Posted by bloc View Post
    First, background info.

1KZ-TE + A343F automatic transmission with the electronic transfer case that was installed into a 1994 4runner v6 auto.
    My swap is working great, but the 4x4 had a glitch in that it wouldn't engage the transfer case if I was moving AT ALL. It would flash the light on the dash and beep from the 4wd computer.. slow to zero, still sits and beeps. soon as I disengage the button and re-engage, it would go right into 4x4 as it's supposed to. The fact that this was happening at a different speed than other people report got me thinking.

The stock 4wd computer wiring has a temperature sensor in the front diff. I'm using a non-add front diff, so I bypassed the sensor circuit in the computer by simply pulling the wires out of the plug so the computer saw an open circuit. This had been discussed on here before, and when not moving it worked great. Today I started tinkering and installed a jumper between pins 10 & 11 on the computer, where the temp sensor would be wired in. Now, the 4x4 works as factory.. below about 50Km/h If I hit the button it engages 4wd immediately as it should. above 50km/h, if I hit the button it sits silently and doesnt do anything, no flashing light or beeping.

Anyway, Hopefully this helps some people out.

For reference, I'm now going to list what I did for the rest of my 4x4 wiring in case anyone is researching all of this.

Pin #, label, wire colors, what I did

1, "IND", G/R, goes to the instrument cluster to indicate 4wd engaged
    2, "M2", Y/B, goes to the transfer actuator motor as factory
    3, "M1", G/O, goes to the transfer actuator motor as factory
    4, "SPD", G/L, comes from the instument cluster speedometer, same wire as goes to the ECU and cruise computer
    5, "4WD", G/W, This is a key wire, it comes from the transfer case and tells the computer and instrument cluster, via completing a ground circuit, when the 4x4 is engaged in the case. I installed a jumper from this wire to pin 1 to get the dash light to work as normal, the 4wd computer does NOT turn on the light under normal operation, only when there's an alarm. This is a simplified version of how toyota had it wired, I'll explain the rest in a bit
    6, "ADD", G/Y, this wire triggers the ADD relay, since I dont have ADD I left it out of the connector
    7, "GND", W/B, ground for the 4wd computer
    8, "REL2", P/G, this wire tells the transfer motor when to stop moving
    9, "REL1", Y/R, same as 8, only for the other direction
    10, "TP" (I think? my diagram isnt clear on the label), G/B, this wire is for the front diff temp sensor circuit
    11, "TP+", G/R, other wire for the diff temp circuit. Jumpered to pin 10 in my setup
    12, "L4", G, This wire tells the 4wd computer when you have the transfer lever in N or L4. 4wd computer will attempt to engage 4x4 in the case any time N or L4 are selected.
    13, "2-4", P, This wire tells the computer when you have pressed the 4WD button. Pressing the button supplies Ground to this pin.
    14, "IG", L/R, +12v input when the ignition is in ON. I ran this wire from the power supply to my Rear ABS computer, which is no longer installed.

A note about the light circuit. Here's how things worked from the factory, as best I can tell.
    Driver his the 4WD button, computer makes sure speed isnt too high or front diff temp isnt too high, goes to start engaging transfer actuator motor. it completes it's movement, pressing on a sprung hub inside the transfer case. when the teeth line up, it goes into 4x4, and trips the 4WD detection switch. this tells the computer the case is engaged, while at the same time making a ground circuit available for the dash light. it wont turn on yet though...
    computer knows 4x4 in the case is engaged, at this point it'll trip the ADD relay. for the record, I have verified that the computer will NOT engage ADD till the case is in 4x4, so there must be synchros in the case. ADD relay supplies voltage to the ADD vacuum actuators, once the front ADD diff is engaged, this completes the light circuit so the dash light can finally turn on. There is one more bit though. the Neutral Detection Switch on the trans opens a relay that interrupts the 4wd light circuit if you have the transfer stick in N. Not sure why, but it does. As I said, on my setup i ditched all of the ADD stuff, and simply ran a jumper between wires 5 & 1 on the computer harness, this turns on the light whenever the case is in 4x4.

Again, hopefully this helps someone out at some point, it's been a little bit of an adventure figuring it all out.

bloc Guest

That ECU handles the operation of the engine and the automatic transmission, whether 4wd or 2wd. The 4wd computer is a separate little box that only operates the 4wd portion of the transfer case, and the ADD differential, which your main ECU cannot control. This is needed on electronic tranfer cases such as what comes behind the 1KZ-TE, both manual (R151F trans code) and automatic (A343F).

For the record, if you are looking for that computer and harness I'm not using mine anymore.

Hey bloc thank you for answering my question with great detail if i may add.
    To punnish you, i have one more... and that is, since my old transmission was from my old truck which had a 2 lte turbo engine. Is that the A343f if so i guess it safe to assume that it will fit right in my new 1kz te engine.
    Again thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bloc View Post
    That ECU handles the operation of the engine and the automatic transmission, whether 4wd or 2wd. The 4wd computer is a separate little box that only operates the 4wd portion of the transfer case, and the ADD differential, which your main ECU cannot control. This is needed on electronic tranfer cases such as what comes behind the 1KZ-TE, both manual (R151F trans code) and automatic (A343F).

For the record, if you are looking for that computer and harness I'm not using mine anymore.

bloc Guest

I don't know what trans came behind the 2L-TE. Even if it is an A343F it could operate at different pressures and stuff. Plus you'll need a 1KZ bellhousing.

Edit: It may work, I just honestly don't know.

I happen to have one of these too btw (full 1KZ-TE transmission and bellhousing), though you are pretty far away.
    Last edited by bloc; 12-31-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Did you guys figure out what pins to jumper on the ADD (4 wire) plug? I'd like to go this route over pulling out the ECU and 4x4 computer, as they are stuck up under the firewall...
    02 VW TDI with go fast goodies, 89 Sidekick mTDI, etc.

I want surf 1997 4wd computer pin out data and 4wd diagram .Please help me, and Thank.

Wow, old thread! I had not seen this one before though, and its useful to me. Thanks for digging it up!

Your 1997 Surf should be the same as a 1999-2000 VZN185 Limited, if thats easier to find.