If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Dually conversion?

Hello everyone. I am looking at converting my 84 4x4 to a dually. Anybody got any idea how difficult it would be and where the best place is I might be able to find a dually axle? Thanks for any info!

:thanks:

Try www.uhaul.com and check out fleet sales. Sometimes you can find a non running '86-'89 1 ton Toyota box van for about $1,200, and they are usually open to offers, running units go for about $2,000 to 2,800. There's got to be a rear dually axle floating around in a scrapyard somewhere. www.jcwhitney.com has a "dually conversion" kit, not really a FF axle just a bolt on kit also has fender flares available.
    Now, in the future, the past has ocurred.
    '82 Toyota 1L PU (now a 2L-T)
    '85 BJ74 JDM Landcruiser 1-3B-T
    '83 Mercedes 240D
    '84 Yam XT600 BIGbore HIGHcomp., Lectron carbs
    '71 Pontiac "Popeye Doyle" Lemans
    '83 Landcruiser BJ42

Smile

Thanks for the info! I will do my homework!
    :thanks:

Well JC whitney might have to special order and no luck with u-haul either. Any other ideas?
    1984 Toyota 4x4 lifted 9", 35" mud terrains, 3" smoke stack, MY REDNECK RIG!:rambo:
    1969 Land Rover Series IIA restored 23k original miles, killer 4x4 system, 16 speed tranny, 31" mudders

Do some legwork on the wrecking yards. Rear end for a 1986-'89 Toyota 1ton RV or box van, there's got to be one somewhere... JC Whitney is usually pretty quick, even with "factory orders". If you just want the look of duallys, it's probably worth the wait. I could forsee a lot of fabrication and headaches with putting a whole rear end in.
    '83 Mercedes 240D
    '83 Landcruiser BJ42

Question

Can the stock 8" rear end handle the extra wheels? I have 35" mud tires on it now. I was planning on putting on 31" or 33" dually tires. Also what about keeping the front axle. Would I just put spacers to make it match the dually rear end? Should I go to taller gears. I have 4.10 in front and rear now. Would I need to reverse the rims in the front or even switch to dually rims in front? Thanks for the help!

:wtf::?
    1984 Toyota 4x4 lifted 9", 35" mud terrains, 3" smoke stack, MY REDNECK RIG!:rambo:
    1969 Land Rover Series IIA restored 23k original miles, killer 4x4 system, 16 speed tranny, 31" mudders

bloc Guest

I've seen a couple in junk yards down here. The front end on those trucks came with special offset hubs so the same wheels could be used all around.. however as far as I know this was only available in 2 wheel drive.. so I doubt there are toyota offset front hubs for a 4x4.

This was a few years ago, but the axles i saw appeared to be standard toyota 8" third member. Don't take this as certain though, it has to have been 5 or 6 years.

That's right, I forgot about the wheels and hubs. Your wheels and tires probably won't work with the 1ton dually stuff. Also the rear end on these (I own one) is a bit of a headache to work on. In order to service the brakes, the hub, axle and bearings have to be removed to get the brake drum off. I can't see the front off-set hub assembly working on a 4WD system without some really time consuming mods. You might also be stuck with stock width tires to make it work either way. I think the JC Whitney kit is designed for stock size tires, I could be wrong, maybe contact the original manufacturer. Just a tip: If you do any off-road wheeling, you'll wish that you didn't have a dually. Your width is increased and duallys really suck on anything the least bit slippery. I've gotten my one ton nearly stuck on wet grass!
    '83 Mercedes 240D
    '83 Landcruiser BJ42

Well I was actually planning on using the front axle I have now with mabe some wheel spacers and also using the rear axle with the jc whitney dually kit. I just hope that the rear axle can handle it. It handles just fine with 15x10 alloys and 35/12.50 tires which I was planning on putting on 31" or 33" tires when I go to dually's. I wanted to keep the aggressive off road look but go with duallys to haul my trail rig and for a big rig look;).

Well, you could go whole-hog and find a rear end from a 70 series Landcruiser, I think there was a dually option on the 75 1ton pu, I could be wrong though. Cable diff-lockers are definitely available.
    '83 Mercedes 240D
    '83 Landcruiser BJ42