If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cheap Bio-D Proof Clear Fuel Line

For those of you looking to replace biodiesel degraded fuel lines, I've found a cheap replacement, with the added bonus that it's clear. I've used Viton before, but it's very expensive ($15.26 a foot for 5/16"!) and doesn't hold up to vacuum well. Dayco Gen 2 (viton lined) is nearly impossible to find and is still expensive. It's unclear whether other fuel injection lines (Goodyear?) will stand up to bio-d. I know the NAPA stuff won't last two months (I think it was Gates brand). The stuff I found is clear ether-based (as opposed to ESTER-based) polyurethane. It's the stuff biodiesel homebrewers use on their reactors. I just bought a 50' roll of 5/16" from McMaster-Carr at $0.78 a foot! Plus it's clear, so it's easy to diagnose fuel problems, and it's vacuum rated. Just got it the other day, looks like good stuff. I've haven't personally used it yet, but I've seen testimony from others who've used it for years with no problems. Just thought I'd put it out there.
    85 4WD Custom Cab Pickup 1KZ-T 5 speed (mechanical Mitsubishi 4M40 injection pump, veggie oil conversion)
    84 Corolla Liftback, Rebuilt 2C-T
    91 4Runner Mercedes OM617 Turbo diesel

I hope that hose works because I need that size for my 94' F250 IDI turbo diesel. I bought it with two fuel tanks of Bio and totally melted injector return lines. Do not touch! Black sticky tar babies.
    I could not find any Viton that size and the local rubber hose company sold me nylon-lined hose that would not stretch onto the barbs. So I have regular hose on for now. Just as well, Bio Diesel is $5.35/gal. here! Ordinary diesel is $4.60 - $4.75 in this part of Oregon.

You can find pretty much any size of Viton or ether based polyurethane on McMaster-Carr's website. I'm sure the poly will work, it has been used before by others.
    Last edited by Lars; 07-21-2008 at 10:30 PM.
    85 4WD Custom Cab Pickup 1KZ-T 5 speed (mechanical Mitsubishi 4M40 injection pump, veggie oil conversion)

Does anyone know what that grey synthetic line is that is used on motorcycles. I replaced the 5" piece of fuel line on my Honda with this stuff, and it seems to hold up to fuel much better than the oem honda line. I dont know what it is made of, but it is grey (not the kind that is grey on the outside but black rubber on the inside), and very pliable. The reason I bring this up is it might be a good replacement on trucks, as it comes in larger sizes (mostly metric).Heres the link:http://motionpro.com/motorcycle/tool...ium_fuel_line/
    1993 volvo 850, 1979 Ford F-250, 1984 Honda XL200R

Default Bump

so i can find this post later.

Here's the McMaster-Carr part#: 5648K621

I've been buying the poly tube at ACE hardware for over a year and it's worked fine for me. Readily availble, cheap, and clear- and no problems with Bio or any mix.

More than once it's saved me. Being clear I can see the bio gelled up and know what the problem is/was.
    Dusty

1985 4Wd 2LT

my other life..
    konatikicondo

I think I have the same stuff your talking about, the braided poly?, on my jerry can spout. It hasn't been there very long, and it isn't even submerged, yet it seems to be softening very rapidly. We'll see what happens I guess.

Default Re: Cheap Bio-D Proof Clear Fuel Line

Sorry to resurect an ancient thread...

Are not most, if not all fuel lines now made with Viton or the equivilent? Meaning you dont have to purchase the $15/foot stuff unless you just want to spend your money on DuPont specific product.

I just heard this so I may be completely wrong.

Please advise...
    Last edited by kansersurvivor; 02-25-2010 at 02:04 PM.
    1985 Toyota 2LT 4x4

Default Re: Cheap Bio-D Proof Clear Fuel Line

I wouldn't count on it. I'm sure some brands may be ok, but definitely not all. All my clear McMaster-Carr lines are holding up very well to bio-d after almost two years, although they are somewhat yellow-tinged now. One downside to them is they're really hard to get on and off.