If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Default Tool for removing valve shims

Hello there all. I'm just wondering what tool you guys use for compressing the springs so that you can get the shims out of the buckets on the 1kz-tes and the 2LTEs. I have been told the shims are the same size. I typed the Toyota part number into 1sttoyotaparts.com that I got out the FSM for the 1kz-te but it did not come up in their list. I'm looking to do these shims really soon and would like to know if you can use the same tool as the V6's use or if its special. I don't have the V6 tool either but it would be easy to find.

Thanks

Scott

Or how about the guys with the 2LTEs I know they have the same shim sizes. I'm wanting to do this quite soon here as the ticking is getting pretty good when cold and my mileage I've noticed is down just a bit. And just to let you guys know this slight ticking on warmup has been very very very slowly getting louder since mid winter so it is nothing new. Its exactly as what a valve that needs shimming would need and my motor does not go through any fluids at all or smoke or miss. Except one miss on startup on first crank which may be from the valve being out a good bit. If any of you guys know I'd really appreciate even a guess or a point in the right direction.

Thanks

Scott

This is the type of tool used.

http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.as...CTMP=1&LowCt=0

2l-TE and 1KZ -TE shims have the same part numbers.

Nev
    Toyota Surf \"92 LN130
    2.4 TD 2L-TE

You can use special tools or you can make one out of a bent screwdriver, being careful not to scratch any polished surfaces. You also need a magnetic pickup.
    85 4WD Custom Cab Pickup 1KZ-T 5 speed (mechanical Mitsubishi 4M40 injection pump, veggie oil conversion)
    84 Corolla Liftback, Rebuilt 2C-T
    91 4Runner Mercedes OM617 Turbo diesel

Thank you very much for the link Nev. I will be getting one of those from the parts store tomorrow hopefully. Now that I've got a picture and can show the guy what I need I should be able to get it. And Lars I've got a small magnet so no problems there. Next step will just be to determine exactly what size shims I need and get them ordered. Then she should purr.

I got this tool from Castle Hill toyota (Australia) for my 2LTII engine. I might be the same for 2LTE but I do not know if this wil work on KZTE engines. I tried using a bent screw driver but it was difficult to remove the shims. I was alone and needed an extra hand. The oil surface tension between the cam and the lifter was too strong and the magnet could not separate them easily. I decided to buy this tool and worked very well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Adjusment of valve clearance

This information was obtained from the 2L-T, 3L engine repair manual. I hope it will be useful for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice. The same tool for the 1C-T/2C-T is number 64010, probably the same thing. Did you get the manual from Castle Hill, too?
    Last edited by Lars; 07-13-2008 at 07:19 PM.
    85 4WD Custom Cab Pickup 1KZ-T 5 speed (mechanical Mitsubishi 4M40 injection pump, veggie oil conversion)
    84 Corolla Liftback, Rebuilt 2C-T
    91 4Runner Mercedes OM617 Turbo diesel

I got it from: www.4wheelauto.com located in Canada. Tool free number: 866-468-2570. Part number is:1058 and it was $99.95

That is the same tool that the 1kz-te FSM calls for. I found the one Nev put up a pic for from Canadian Tire and it was $16. I'll let you guys know how it works out. I sure hope it works ok. I'm sure the Toyota tool would work better though.