If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Valve Adjustment 1kzte

Hi there all. I've got a good question. I was wondering if any of you guys have adjusted your valves on the 1kz-te. Mine sounds as if it is due to have a shim or two replaced. Its slowly been getting more of a tick on cold start and goes away after about 5 mins of driving when everything warms up. I was just wondering if any of you guys knew of any other vehicles that might have the same size dia shims as this motor. Prefferably toyota motors. I have heard from the Australian forum that the 2LTE uses the same shims but we have none of them here either. I just want to know if there are some on this continent before I go and get a few from overseas.

I will also be doing a timing belt change here right soon and will be wanting to change the tensioners while I am in there. I've talked to a few places in the US but they were not able to find the stuff. Just wondering if someone knew that stuff as well.

Thanks.

Scott

I don't know the exact size of the shims as I haven't done em yet, But work out what thickness you need before ordering any.You probably know that already.
    I usually buy a complete kit when it is time to change the belt.
    Gates part No. for the 1KZ-TE kit is VKMA91022 this will include a tensioner and idler if there is one. It does not contain seals.
    I prefer Gates over DAYCO as that brand seems inferior in quality and has let me down at crucial times.
    Cars, I'm over them............... YUP! still am

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTojo View Post
    Gates part No. for the 1KZ-TE kit is VKMA91022
    That's actually an SKF number.

http://translate.google.com/translat...%3Den%26sa%3DG

Nev
    Toyota Surf \"92 LN130
    2.4 TD 2L-TE

Shims start at 2.5mm and are available in 17 sizes in incremants of .05mm up to 3.15mm.

Nev
    Toyota Surf \"92 LN130
    2.4 TD 2L-TE

I have the gates catalogue right here. Just checked again and it is that. T-belt part is T998. 2L-TE kit is VKMA91122S containing belt T835 same as 3L and 5L. I like to get all the parts catalogues I can. I recently got the Blue Max spring and shock catalogue sent out.

just a quick question there Nev. I will be doing a shim adjust and can I buy shims somewhere other than Toyota?? Maybe Repco or Coventry?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTojo View Post
    just a quick question there Nev. I will be doing a shim adjust and can I buy shims somewhere other than Toyota?? Maybe Repco or Coventry?
    No idea. Would be good if you could though, so worth asking the question. Repco are useless but maybe Coventrys. A diesel mechanic would be a place to ask.

Nev
    Toyota Surf \"92 LN130
    2.4 TD 2L-TE

Here's a Gates cross reference that may interest everyone.

http://www.arcona.info/gates/doc/70269_CCO_2005.pdf

Nev
    Toyota Surf \"92 LN130
    2.4 TD 2L-TE

I have shim stock so I could measure the thickness needed and super glue the correct cut out of the shin onto the valve shim to make it thicker. Ha ha.

While I've never seen any shims out of a diesel, I did get the idea in my head once that my Previa needed it's valves adjusted. So I bought the SSTs from OTC.. got it all opened up and pulled a shim or two out. Size was dead stock and this was at over 300K Kms. So, I asked around and was told yes, they almost never need adjustment.

Anyone done a diesel?

Still have those OTC tools if somone needs them!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Akroyd_Stuart

So, why do we call it a "Diesel" when he didn't invent it?

I think they just need checking every 10,000km as per the book but yes they should be fine for a long time unless you actually see wear on the cam lobes or it becomes very noisy. My car is 17 years old with low k's on the clock ( wound back???) which should be higher so you never know till you check that's why I whacked in a new timing belt, water pump, thermostat and so on after I got it.