If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Default Vacuum hose location on 1HZ model landcruiser

Hi everyone!! I have a 80 series 1HZ Landcruiser which has an aftermarket pajero turbo fitted to it. It is a very weak car going up hills and merging onto the highway when towing. I took the original air filter out and attached a 'pod' which made a considerable change to it's performance, however it's still not gutsy enough! I am in the process of installing a boost controller and gauge and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with locating the best spot to hook up a mechanical boost gauge. There are no vacuum hoses that I can cut and put a T-piece so I'm assuming I have to drill and tap one in. I just don't know where! Also any idea on how much boost I can safely run with this engine? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!:)

Have a look at this: http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=83942

Weak? You mean slow? Nothing weak about the 1HZ engine.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Akroyd_Stuart

So, why do we call it a "Diesel" when he didn't invent it?

Thanks for that link! I didn't find any threads directly relating to what I need to know but found heaps of other useful info. And yeah bad word choice. Not weak, it would pull a house down, but definately slow up the hills and towing.

I know little of the 1HZ so this is only a suggestion. You could drill and tap the area I have circled. I also have a question. Is the part arrowed the connection for the crankcase breather? If so, then is this modified in any way after the turbo is fitted? I would imagine if not then turbo pressure would be going into the sump.

Nev
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Toyota Surf \"92 LN130
    2.4 TD 2L-TE

Quote Originally Posted by Azza View Post
    Thanks for that link! I didn't find any threads directly relating to what I need to know but found heaps of other useful info. And yeah bad word choice. Not weak, it would pull a house down, but definately slow up the hills and towing.
    I guess what I was trying to say was, if you find it slow with the existing turbo, why not replace with a (reportedly) factory-approved system, such as that which American Imports is selling. (I see their website is being redone, so those photos on Mud are all you can see at the moment.)

Their kit includes the boost compensator to modify the IP etc.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Akroyd_Stuart

So, why do we call it a "Diesel" when he didn't invent it?

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNev View Post
    I know little of the 1HZ so this is only a suggestion. You could drill and tap the area I have circled. I also have a question. Is the part arrowed the connection for the crankcase breather? If so, then is this modified in any way after the turbo is fitted? I would imagine if not then turbo pressure would be going into the sump.

Nev
    Yes your right Nev.This pic shows the factory set up breather
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1988 MWB FJ73 Landcruiser with 1HZ diesel,5 sp
    1995 LWB HZJ75 Landcruiser cab chassis diesel 5sp ,dual 90 litre tanks ,4 wheel disc brakes,Toyota bullbar.
    http://forum.ih8mud.com/members/rosc...hz-diesel.html

Quote Originally Posted by 87-2LT View Post
    I guess what I was trying to say was, if you find it slow with the existing turbo, why not replace with a (reportedly) factory-approved system, such as that which American Imports is selling. (I see their website is being redone, so those photos on Mud are all you can see at the moment.)

Their kit includes the boost compensator to modify the IP etc.
    I was wondering about the turbo size too. The Mitsibishi turbo is for 3ltre or under and the 1HZ is 4.2 litres
    1988 MWB FJ73 Landcruiser with 1HZ diesel,5 sp
    1995 LWB HZJ75 Landcruiser cab chassis diesel 5sp ,dual 90 litre tanks ,4 wheel disc brakes,Toyota bullbar.
    http://forum.ih8mud.com/members/rosc...hz-diesel.html

yes that is the crankcase breather but it has been blocked with a rubber bung and a new line fitted to just behind the air filter. i would imagine that this is very necessary otherwise the turbo would push alot of air into the rocker cover. But it is all good now i found a hole that was predrilled and plugged on the manifold which was a perfect fit for the boost gauge. It is now working correctly reading a max of approx 9 pound but with the boost controller i have upped it to max out at 15. This has made a huge difference reducing lag by quite a bit and lowering rpm at cruising speeds. i agree the pajero turbo must be smaller as i think the factory fitted toyota turbo runs at approx. 12/13 psi whereas this one is only 9 psi.
    thanks for your help everyone