If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 4BT into toyota pickup?

what do you guys think of getting the cummins 4bt 3.9L inline 4 into a toyota pickup? that'd be pretty badass.

i understand that theyre heavy, but bigger motors are more durable, and it's made in america, so the parts will be easier to obtain. 25+mpg on a heavy vehicle would be like 30mpg on a 3,000 LB singlecab shortbed.

Yea just mate it to your g54 trans and you are all set. Oh and let us know how you handled the weight, hight to crank centerline, cooling, Weight, cost of the rebuild, weight ect. Pictures would be nice too.

I havent heard anyone mating a 4bt with a g54. I just bought a w56. I'm not going to be able to afford a diesel any time soon but im just checking all my options and i want something that nobody else has done :)

almost everything from a 6bt can be done to a 4bt. I heard someone had over 300HP from a 4bt. If i were to get one of these engines, and keep it stock for the time being, during the time i own it, i'll get the HP and torque up :)

sure mate it to your W56

I have heard of people putting them into Toyotas but really they are too big and heavy. Yotatech as a thread called Cummins Swap. Not sure where it is but they had a good long dicussion on there about it as well. I still think putting in a properly sized Toyota motor that was desinged just for these trucks is the way to go. With a standard cab shortbox I wouldn't use the 1kzte because I think a 2LT would push it along fine. And by the time you are done getting everything just right with the Cummins you will more than likely have spent more on it than you would putting a Toy diesel in. And it wont look nearly as nice and probably wont perform all that much better. Sure it will have lots of power and torque but why do you need huge amounts in a small pickup? When I have the right gearing in my truck I'm sure I'll be able to hit 100mph fairly easy. No need to be going faster than that. I just think that these motors work great in these trucks and were made to fit right into these trucks. Why not use them.

I would go with a 5 cyl Mercedes before the 4bt. Not only is it big and heavy, it also is only good for 2400 rpm and has around 300 ft lbs of torque. That all meens that you will need heavy trans and tcase to hold up to the strain and you will not have a long rpm range if you need to rev it up in gear. They are better suited for heavy duty applications like a full sized truck that will be loaded down or tow heavy loads for long distances.
    1948 Willys extended to 100" WB, 1KZTE all Toyota running gear. Marlin Crawler dual cases, ARB's, onboard welder and air.

Bla, bla, bla

Making of the Willy Mammoth http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Mammoth View Post
    I would go with a 5 cyl Mercedes before the 4bt. Not only is it big and heavy, it also is only good for 2400 rpm
    thanks guys. im just looking around at my options. Arent parts for a mercedes expensive? I thought RPMs were mainly based on your gearing. If i was using the tranny from a breadvan as well, then maybe that'd be the case, right?

if i got a 2lt, it wouldn't get to 100MPH, though.
    Last edited by KX250Erick; 11-02-2007 at 10:01 PM.