If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: TDI conversion

Default TDI conversion

there was some talk a while ago on SR5.net about using a VW TDI engine in a toyota pickup. anyone pulled it off?

alfio

not positive, but wasnt that Todd?

could be. dunno. it would be interesting to see what happened with the project though.

alfio

Default hmmm

Still in the works. No cash to complete the project. I really need a donor 22re truck to use as they are real pricey down here in TX. The last conversion I did was on a truck I got from Ebay for $1000 and that's more my price range for a truck that I dont need to have running when I buy it. As long as it has a decent body and a good trans it's perfect. The engine and parts are easily had. Adapters are readily available (Kennedy engineering) to bolt the Vw engine up to the toyota trans. I have a friend who has suggested there might be a problem with the input shafts being different but I believe that will be an easy fix. The motor mounts will need a bit of fab work to complete it just right. There is even a wiring interface to where you just add ground and positive 12v and you can start the engine. Driving it requires more work as they are completely DBW. Then you need to hook the tachometer up and I'm thinking about merging the toyota/vw interiors to make the whole dash VW inside other than the seats. I have measured them and they are very close in size. There is also a pedal setup available for use on the older vanagon's. There is another member of this forum who has the ideal truck but I'm waiting for them to sell it to me. In the name of modern diesel experimentation of course!!

Default Re: hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Todd
    Still in the works. No cash to complete the project. I really need a donor 22re truck to use as they are real pricey down here in TX. The last conversion I did was on a truck I got from Ebay for $1000 and that's more my price range for a truck that I dont need to have running when I buy it. As long as it has a decent body and a good trans it's perfect. The engine and parts are easily had. Adapters are readily available (Kennedy engineering) to bolt the Vw engine up to the toyota trans. I have a friend who has suggested there might be a problem with the input shafts being different but I believe that will be an easy fix. The motor mounts will need a bit of fab work to complete it just right. There is even a wiring interface to where you just add ground and positive 12v and you can start the engine. Driving it requires more work as they are completely DBW. Then you need to hook the tachometer up and I'm thinking about merging the toyota/vw interiors to make the whole dash VW inside other than the seats. I have measured them and they are very close in size. There is also a pedal setup available for use on the older vanagon's. There is another member of this forum who has the ideal truck but I'm waiting for them to sell it to me. In the name of modern diesel experimentation of course!!
    You sir, are my hero. I want designs and specs for those motor mounts, and a good bit of detail when you do the conversion. VW TDIs I am no stranger to (see my sig).

:beer:
    Eric
    www.vintagewatercooleds.com

1990 Corrado TDI
    1981 Scirocco TDI (project)
    1983 SR5 Shortbed 22r (for now!?!?!)

Default ....

Well, if you put a tdi engine into an older vw then you're no slouch yourself. Did you use an a3 or an a4 engine? I have a really good friend on Fred's TDI forum. He goes by the name runonbeer. We did an 11mm pump swap on his a3 tdi. Was a pretty smooth install except for those damn harness pins that you have to swap out, wheww. Like I said, I am still in the planning stages and have not yet done much more than research. I need a donor truck to start the process.

Default ....

Wait, did you buy your corrado from Jim?

what kind of truck are you looking for?

Default ....

I'm looking for an 89-95 toyota 4x4 single cab or ext cab with a bad engine or around the $1000 range

K, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I was looking for an extra cab 84-88, but i'm thinking about pursuing a Tacoma...

I'd REALLY like to stumble on a clean sr5 extracab 84-88 though....much less work involved... and I'd HATE to bastardize a new tacoma

...but I will ;)