If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Castrol GTX Diesel 15w40

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions of this oil. I couldn't resist the price at Costco and picked up a case (20x1L @ CDN$28) a while back.

After approx 2000kms on it I seem to have more ticks and rattles and nocks coming from the engine area than ever before. Not sure what to think...

regards,
    Brad
    1989 Toyota Hilux Surf
    1988 VW Syncro Vanagon
    1990 Toyota Liteace "JustLow" Pickup (enroute from Japan)

hmm...that was supposed to be $28 not $2 and a happy face...

I used it before I put on the Frantz filter, seemed fine. What were you using before? Castrol is supposed to be pretty good quality from what I've heard.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Akroyd_Stuart

So, why do we call it a "Diesel" when he didn't invent it?

Previously I had been using RotellaT 15w40.

Don't know about their oils, but it seems to be generally agreed that Shell's diesel (and gasoline) are the lowest quality on the market. As I think I said before once, I was told that the Snowbirds always use Shell fuel because it leaves a nice smokey trail in the sky.

LOL I'd agree with you that Shell fuels are pretty bad, but Canadian Forces bases have contracts for who hauls the fuel, they dont care where it comes from. The only difference between fuels from different brands is addatives, which is where Shells are junk. I dont think Jet has company branded addatives in it? I may be wrong. I used to haul for Shell with Trimac on Vancouver Island. It all comes down the same pipeline, onto the same bardges so I was always told.

Just thought I'd share some useless information :nut_kick_

Thanks!

There was an independent distributor who had tanks in Nanaimo years back, but the big boys bought him out in the end.

Do you know who that was?

I'm told all the gas on the Island comes from one distributor now. No wonder the prices are fixed.

One more reason to go diesel and veg oil.

Might be before my time. The only guys with tanks in Nanaimo are Petro Can and Esso right downtown by the ferries. Shells out at Bare Point on the water in Chemanius, and Chevrons out at Hatch Point way the hell off and gone by Mill Bay. Theres a couple more plants up in Campbell River, Chevron and Petro Can I think.

As for any private distribution plants, unless Esso or Petro Can used to be it at one time, I cant say that I've ever heard of it. Payless gas stations used to be a private Island thing years back, and Shell bought them out. But as far as I know they've always used un-branded fuel from Shell to do their stations.

They have pictures at the Shell plant of their old facility downtown Nanaimo right alone where Petro Can is now I think. Dont know the year, but definatly before I was born, some disgruntalled employee came in and torched the place. Killing himself, and taking out the entire plant, as well as Chevron next door. Thats why Shell and Chevron are now located so far south. Pretty impressive pictures.

:beer:

Yeh, it was Payless I was thinking of.

Interesting info!

Quote Originally Posted by Psilosin
    Previously I had been using RotellaT 15w40.
    I have been researching oils a lot and Rotella T is a good one.