If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Default tacoma diesel conversion

I am interested in converting my 1998 tacoma 4x4 to a diesel motor. I was just wondering if this was at all feasable. My pickup is presently equipped with a 2.7 litre 4 cyl and a five speed manual tranny all bone stock. I also have questions about what size motor to use and what in my present pickup will bolt up(if anything). The last question I have is whether this swap could be done at home where I have basic cutting and welding capabilities, lift, and hand tools. I apreciate any feedback and oppinions as I am rather new to the toyota diesel scene.

I think it was pretty much straight forward except for the oil pan. I believe he cut the pan off of the 2.7 and welded it to the pan flange from the 3L.

Engine choice will depend on your budget as well as your plans for the truck.
    The 3L is reliable, reasonably priced, enough power (step down from the 2.7 though) and will get great mileage. I would say the 3l is the economical choice and could get by for light duty hauling.

The 1Kz-te was offered in that truck in other countries. It is more expensive (esp for 96 up models with the right oil pan and pickup for your truck) and not as efficient as L series engines, but the power and reliability is great. If you plan on towing or using the truck for much hauling I would go this route.
    Takumi Services
    Auto Prep & Fabrication
    770-364-7598

Not as efficient? That is new to me. What kind of mileage are they getting? I was under the impression the 1KZTEs were an improved design...

Maybe efficient is not the right word as they put out a good bit more power. I don't know anybody in the states who is up and driving one yet, but I would guess under 25 mpg from what I have seen on the aussie sites. Still good for the power and capability of the truck. I have talked to lots of people getting over 30 mpg with a 2lt. Any body have exact numbers?
    Takumi Services
    Auto Prep & Fabrication
    770-364-7598

This 1KZ-T into a taco sounds interesting. It seems that it may be possible to get an older 1KZ-T and order the proper >1996 pan and pick up...correct?

Oh, and I get 25-28 mpg (imperial) with my 2LII-T.

25 to 28mpg? 4x4 or 2x4? manual or auto?

Yeah, you should be able to get the newer stuff through JDM dealer. I bet there would be some more items you would run into along the way.
    Takumi Services
    Auto Prep & Fabrication
    770-364-7598

The 1KZ-T in 93 KZJ-70 gives me a consistent 20mpg on the highway and around 19mpg in combined highway/city (and my figures are using U.S. gallons not imperial). It is mechanically injected and runs just great. This engine is bolted to a 5-speed tranny and moves around the 4300 lb Land Cruiser just fine, so I am certain it will be outstanding for a Taco.

My current project is taking the half-cut I just bought from mhooper @ jarco and making a KZJ-45 out of my HJ-45 Land Cruiser. I'll go from just over 90hp to up around 130hp and the torque will improve from about 155lb-ft to up around 210lb-ft--all with better miles per gallon. The 1KZ-T family of engines is fantastic.
    Sparkplugs are Irrelevant.
    Toyota: 1976 HJ-45; 1984 BJ-42; 1988 BJ-73; 1993 KZJ-70.
    Dodge 1991 D250 Cummins;
    BMW 1986 524td.