If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1KZ-TE - Injection Pump

First post on this forum. Been lurking for a short while.

When it comes to 1KZ-TE's on North America, this the place to be! I need some help. I have a 94 LC Prado 1kz-te and my buddy has the same but auto. He has had problems with rough idle, when it warms up say after 5 minutes, it tends to smoke much more than it used too and it has spats of sputtering that shake the engine something fierce with lots more black smoke. On 1h8mud, there is a 70 series forum so I have posted for help there but there aren't as many 1kz-te experts as here so I hope you can help.

Here is a post on mud that captures what we have done so far. There are also a couple of video's that might help to hear and see the problem.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-te...-knocking.html

We have spent plenty of time diagnosing the problem. Have checked:

timing - checked ok
    valve clearances - checked ok
    EGR disconnected - no effect
    engine sensors - checked ok
    ECU pulled and sent to http://www.foreignecurepair.com/ - Check, repaired, no effect.

So it looks like the injection pump. The suggestion that has been tabled is to get a used kzt or 2lt pump and disconnect the ECU. My preference is to get a rebuilt kz-te IP b/c a new one is way to expensive!

Two requests (and thanks for the help in advance). First, anything else you can think of that might be causing this problem? Secondly, anybody know where I can get a rebuilt 1kz-te IP?

Last edited by tor_kzj78; 01-28-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Default Re: 1KZ-TE - Injection Pump

By engine sensors, does this include all of the IP sensors? I would use a DMM and the factory manual to check the IP sensors. I know they're either 5 or 6 sensors on the IP.

For what its worth, there is a company here in Southern California, Becs Pacific Diesel. This is the route I went when I was having problems, I had them rebuild the IP. Included new sensors and dialed in on their bench tester with a new spill valve and fuel screw adjustment. Also make sure the connectors going to all the plugs are on snug, another thing to check are all of the pins in the connectors to make sure they are making complete contact. I had a couple pins that were opened up too much, not making complete contact and caused random problems.

Hope this is a start, Let me know if you need the manual for the 1kzt-e I have it saved on the computer here.

Best wishes
    Chris

If you guys might be interested I have found the rebuild and testing manual for the 1kz-te pump from a Russian site and it has all the Denso part numbers for everthing in the pump to rebuild it.

I just found that very link about a month ago and was amazed that no one else has come across it. Great link, though i saved the file to the computer.

Well you should keep it simple first. Black smoke means too much fuel. How is the air filter? The fuel filter? There is also a fuel screen that can be cleaned in the injection pump under the temp sensor. Keep the electronic pump, why backdate your fuel management? It's possible you could have an injection pump problem but I would cover the basics. Fuel injectors that are worn out can easily cause this by not atomizing the fuel charge. It could just need some fuel cleaner and a good romp too.

Oh, and I reccommend Oregon Fuel Injection for a 1KZTE pump overhaul. Look them up online, they are one of the best in the US.
    Last edited by SammaS; 01-31-2011 at 01:26 AM. Reason: forgot the other question

Quote Originally Posted by 82yota View Post
    If you guys might be interested I have found the rebuild and testing manual for the 1kz-te pump from a Russian site and it has all the Denso part numbers for everthing in the pump to rebuild it.
    That would be very helpful. I read on another thread here that most shops don't want to touch these pumps - might have a fighting chance with the specs however. Thanks.

I read somewhere else that you had your IP rebuild at a shop in Markham. Not too far from me actually. Spoke with Giles from the shop and he said all they can change is the seals. Can't actually rebuild the pump internals.

Quote Originally Posted by SammaS View Post
    Keep the electronic pump, why backdate your fuel management? It's possible you could have an injection pump problem but I would cover the basics.
    Exactly what I was thinking. The manual above will help to know exactly what we are dealing with here.

Quote Originally Posted by SammaS View Post
    Oh, and I reccommend Oregon Fuel Injection for a 1KZTE pump overhaul. Look them up online, they are one of the best in the US.
    Once I get my hands on that manual, I will give them a call. Thanks!

BTW all, is there a Denso part number to reference these IP's by?

I also just had Becs in Southern California rebuild my IP. Speak with Arnold there. I just got my truck back yesterday. It took them a while to find parts. He said Denso in Japan was even having a hard timing cross referencing part numbers, at least now it is fresh in his head after dealing with mine. Truck seems to run good, although I just drove about 10 miles so far. Good luck

The 2 manuals I have tell you a lot about the pumps. 1 is the complete Denso parts numbers list for the pump. PM me with your email if you would like me to send them to you. It looks really comprehensive and explains how the electronically controlled diesel computer works as well. Lots of good info in them.

Your pump will have a black metal tag on the side with various codes on it. The code you want is going to be something like 90915-20060. I don't know what your actual part number will be but it will be a similar 10 digit code.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be giving Arnold at BEC's a call as soon as I can get a look at the IP to confirm the part number on the side plate. The truck is about 200km's from me at the moment.

Keep you posted.