PDA

View Full Version : Which Diesel for '95 4Runner transplant?

gwhayduke
10-26-2004, 07:59 AM
The vehicle: '95 4Runner Limited with 3.0 V6 & a manual 5speed. So far from lurking I've figured out that I'd have to do a lot of mods plus a tranny swap for a 2L diesel. Is there a better swap that will bolt up to my tranny?

nick
10-26-2004, 08:15 AM
I believe the Australia trucks, use a r151 tranny and if that is the case you could get a bell housing from OZ then you could bolt any L series diesel engine under the hood (plus move the mounts) If I had done more homework in ths department I would have saved myself a lot of work.

About 1/2 way down the 1st page one of the fellows in OZ tells me his tranny is a R151F which is the same as the V-6

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1643&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

jr9162
10-27-2004, 12:47 AM
I believe the Australia trucks, use a r151 tranny and if that is the case you could get a bell housing from OZ then you could bolt any L series diesel engine under the hood (plus move the mounts) If I had done more homework in ths department I would have saved myself a lot of work.

About 1/2 way down the 1st page one of the fellows in OZ tells me his tranny is a R151F which is the same as the V-6

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1643&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I've heard from correspondents in OZ that some of the L series engines in the Hilux used the G52/G54 trannys, some used W56 trannys, and the newer ones use the R150F series trannys with the chain driven T-case.

These bellhousings fit all the L series blocks from 2L thru the 5L. So you're stuck with using, at best, a W56 with one bellhousing or the R150F with the other. I don't think any of the L series bellhousings offered in the Hilux or Surf (4Runner) will utilize the 85-87 R151F turbo tranny because its 6.5 inch input shaft length is too short.

However, I do know that Hino/Dyna trucks came with the 3L and 5L engines and the Dyna R452 tranny. The good news is that Marlin (www.marlincrawler.com) uses components from the R452 tranny to modify the R151F's for a 5.15:1 1st gear ratio.

I'm thinking one might use a R452 to Toyota 3L (or 5L) bellhousing to sucessfully adapt a stock R151F tranny to any Toyota L series engine.

JR

gwhayduke
10-27-2004, 07:43 AM
If I understand it correctly, I'd have to weld new motor mounts, new tranny mounts, take out the R150F, weld new mounts for the W56 and engine, plus figuring out all the wiring.

Sounds like for my first swap, I should just find me a nice 22re truck with a blown motor and begin there.

jr9162
10-27-2004, 12:13 PM
If I understand it correctly, I'd have to weld new motor mounts, new tranny mounts, take out the R150F, weld new mounts for the W56 and engine, plus figuring out all the wiring.

Sounds like for my first swap, I should just find me a nice 22re truck with a blown motor and begin there.

A 22R or 22RE based truck is better to start with than the V6 model for sure. I think you can use a 3L or 5L with your R150F and chain driven T-case if you use the Hino/Dyna truck bellhousing that mates the R452 to those engines.

This requires procurement of parts not directly imported into North America by Toyota. I've heard rumor that some Hino trucks made it to Canada but haven't verified that, nor what their driveline consists of.

The simplest route to take is a W56 or R151F mated gear drven T-case with the ACME adapter and a VW 1.9L TDI. Those parts are readily available in the US.

JR

jr9162
11-28-2004, 10:21 PM
I've heard from correspondents in OZ that some of the L series engines in the Hilux used the G52/G54 trannys, some used W56 trannys, and the newer ones use the R150F series trannys with the chain driven T-case.

These bellhousings fit all the L series blocks from 2L thru the 5L. So you're stuck with using, at best, a W56 with one bellhousing or the R150F with the other. I don't think any of the L series bellhousings offered in the Hilux or Surf (4Runner) will utilize the 85-87 R151F turbo tranny because its 6.5 inch input shaft length is too short.

However, I do know that Hino/Dyna trucks came with the 3L and 5L engines and the Dyna R452 tranny. The good news is that Marlin (www.marlincrawler.com) uses components from the R452 tranny to modify the R151F's for a 5.15:1 1st gear ratio.

I'm thinking one might use a R452 to Toyota 3L (or 5L) bellhousing to sucessfully adapt a stock R151F tranny to any Toyota L series engine.

JR

I'm beginning to rethink this issue because I'm now being told that all the L series diesel engines in OZ that come with a R series gearbox have a 6.5 inch (165 mm) input shaft. I'm attempting to aquire one of these items for converting my truck to a 5L backed by a 86 turbo R151F and Tcase.

My sources sez:
2L turbo'd diesels come with a R series gearbox in OZ
3L diesels came with the G52
5L diesels came with the W56
Dyna HD trucks come with a 5L diesel and R452. I presume earlier Dyna's had a 3L and the R452.

JR

lc_80
03-13-2005, 08:06 PM
Man, dont put a 2LT in there!

The SURF also came with the 1KZ-TE engine, and it produces a lot more power in standard form. Then of course you ca add some of the Diesel Tuning Modules that will boost that by about 34HP WITHOUT changing the boost settings, turbo, or any otehr engine mechanical components.

Compare the output of the 2LT with about 120KW that you can get reliably from the 1KZ-TE. The on road difference is staggering! You would have to do a lot of work to a 2LT to get that type of power, and reliability would be out the door.

Radio
03-14-2005, 12:37 AM
Yeah, but you'd have to deal with electronics instead of having a good old simple reliable mechanical set-up.

I see you trumpeting the merits of the 1KZ-TE all over this board, and of course it is quite interesting to read your knowledgable reports, but there are lots of Madness Members who MUCH prefer a straight mechanical engine. Also, in North America the 2L-T or similar "L" engine is the most available and probably most realistic, and we don't seem to have all the head cracking problems that plauge you guys. But it is nice to read about all these other engines we'll probably rarely see.

--Radio

lc_80
03-14-2005, 02:00 AM
Interestingly enough all of the engine electrics for the 1KZ-TE or 5L-E fit on a single A4 page easily (includig the actual internals of all the 'black boxes' - except the ECU).

Anybody fitting a modern V8 instead would have the same or more electrics to fit, so its not that difficult. How many Hilux/Surf are fitted with bigger modern petrol engines - lots with success (until they break axles etc).

Irrespective of which engine, choose the one with the largest capacity, because all small TD engines lack power until the turbo comes up to speed - typically 1800-2400RPM - when compared to larger (perhaps) diesel engines. This is evident in the SURF, Hilux, Prado (2Lx, 3L, 5L, 1KZ-TE), Navara & Patrol (ZD30 & RD28TE), Defender, Discovery (TDi & TD5), Mazda B2500 (WL). Isuzu Jackeroo/Trooper & Rodeo/DMAX (4JX1TC 4JH1TC) etc. Compare these to the naturally aspired 4.0 to 5.0 litre 4x4 diesels under load at low revs & you will see what I mean.

Power is what you need on the highway, torque is what you need offroad unless its competition (or you have double reduction box fitted).

BTW the 1KD-FTV is a nicer engine than the 1KZ-T(E), but dont expect to see many in the wrecking yards for a couple of years yet, let alone at anything approaching cheap.

I have some diagrams of 1KZ-T engine electrics it anybody is interested. Email me directly.

AntiGas
03-19-2005, 08:31 PM
except the ECU :beer:

lc_80
03-20-2005, 05:56 AM
Also have those details too (but no internals - not that most people would reaaly be interested anyway).

jr9162
03-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Interestingly enough all of the engine electrics for the 1KZ-TE or 5L-E fit on a single A4 page easily (includig the actual internals of all the 'black boxes' - except the ECU).

Anybody fitting a modern V8 instead would have the same or more electrics to fit, so its not that difficult. How many Hilux/Surf are fitted with bigger modern petrol engines - lots with success (until they break axles etc).

Irrespective of which engine, choose the one with the largest capacity, because all small TD engines lack power until the turbo comes up to speed - typically 1800-2400RPM - when compared to larger (perhaps) diesel engines. This is evident in the SURF, Hilux, Prado (2Lx, 3L, 5L, 1KZ-TE), Navara & Patrol (ZD30 & RD28TE), Defender, Discovery (TDi & TD5), Mazda B2500 (WL). Isuzu Jackeroo/Trooper & Rodeo/DMAX (4JX1TC 4JH1TC) etc. Compare these to the naturally aspired 4.0 to 5.0 litre 4x4 diesels under load at low revs & you will see what I mean.

Power is what you need on the highway, torque is what you need offroad unless its competition (or you have double reduction box fitted).

BTW the 1KD-FTV is a nicer engine than the 1KZ-T(E), but dont expect to see many in the wrecking yards for a couple of years yet, let alone at anything approaching cheap.

I have some diagrams of 1KZ-T engine electrics it anybody is interested. Email me directly.

One can install a mechanical injection pump from a 1KZ-T or 5L on the 1KZ-TE engine to eleminat the computer issues.

JR

lc_80
03-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Yes.

Why not just buy the complete (mechanical) engine, as IP aren't cheap, if you dont want the advantages of the electronically controlled units.

Also be aware that some 1KZ versions also have a throttle plate. Not sure if that applies to 5L engines (since I only have interest in those with ECU).

On mechanical IP turbo engines enusre that it has an aneriod (boost compensator), otherwise you will have to run over fuelled when cruising in order to generate max power under load, or for go max power for economy (and be almost back to non turbo performance). It should be mounted (solidly) to the IP & look like a large dashpot with a 1/8" hose to the inlet manifold.

Remmeber over fuelled kills diesel engines, like running lean on a petrol engine.

sdiker
03-31-2005, 11:07 AM
I would simply match the engine with your particular needs, what do you expect out of your diesel transplant, use your expectations as a guide. As far as reliability I have looked and studied and read a lot about these diesels and find that it is the same as any other good engine, the head problems are from poor maintenance or overheating. If you dont overfuel the engine and you make sure there are no air pockets in the coolant system your engine should last, but that is the same with most any engine. My 2l-te runs out better than my friends newer truck that has a 3.o v6 in it in all situations. If you want loads of power and dont care about fuel economy then run something larger. Look at parts availability as you will need to maintain whatever you decide to go with. My 4runner is about 4300 pounds measured on a scale and my little ol 2.4L pushes it along at highway speeds and that is on a 6" lifted rig with 35" tires so I have alot of resistance. I would not expect to be able to pull a heavy load but I did not build this to pull alot of extras.